Sunday, January 15, 2006

My medical report from my doctor

here is the details,

I sustained an intra-abdominal injury and had an emergency laparotomy in Johor, Malaysia. Got transferred back to Singapore the very next day after the op and admitted into NUH. While having my post operative management, I complained of low back pain and was referred to the orthopaedic team, did an emergency CAT scan and the xray showed there was bilateral facet dislocation at lumbar L3 and L4. So I underwent another operation for an interspinous ligament and disc ruptured. L3/4 facets reduction and instrumentations with posterior lateral fusion was performed. In simple english, they cut from the back, removed the disc between my 3 and 4 vertebrae, added 2 screws each on L3 and L4, aligned with some sort of plate to secured the screws in place.

it looks something like this in my x-ray


The procedure was to hold both vertebrae together and together with an implant between the two, fusion or rather fused both together into one.



ok, here comes the bad news, my surgeon after going through my routine x-ray, thinks that the progress of the fusion wasn't as fast as he expected. (could be due to my shooting? or smoking?)
So, he told me to avoid any strenous exercise that might cause more problems for my back, so no trekking, no photography or anything that requires constant bending. He wouldnt be in town of the next 1 year and scheduled me to see him 1.5 years later (wonder why that long). Anyway, I will be starting on my phyiso therapy on monday, so lets see how things goes with it. Apart from my low back experience, the frontal defects :P has healed very well. But I'm not too pleased with the looks of it (maybe a pic of my tummy?), the 2nd surgery to cover the previous laparotomy was done because the wound was taking too long to heal, so I underwent a comestic surgery, in which a patch of skin from my right thigh was taken to graft over my tummy. It healed well and now it looks disfigured. Also, the left side of my body looks fatter than the right, apparently, the laparotomy cut through my stomach muscle which holds the shape of the stomach, without those muscle, the internal organs shifted to my left side, making me look like I had lost weight on the right and not on my left... (can you imagine it?). will find the courage to take a pix of it soon.

thanks for listening
all pix taken from http://www.augustaortho.com/spinefusion.htm

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take of urself bro. Health is most important.

Cheers
JC aka solonavi in AQ

1:05 PM  
Blogger Simon Sng said...

Thanks JC

1:23 PM  
Blogger Da Froggie said...

Sai,

We will be there for ya..keep the faith!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Simon Sng said...

thanks... I still havent had that "we will be there" experience, you keep forgetting about outings we supposed to go on

anyway, after the accident, I feel the need to understand what's wrong and what happen.. so be reading abit off the net

ps. better than getting it from my doc

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home